Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 11 Reflection

How tightly do we hold on to what is ours? Among the first inductees into a child's vocabulary hall-of-fame is "mine". We live in a selfish world. Does that differ when participating in an intellectual community? Do we claim "mine" over our ideas and "makes" as educators and learners? What does this do to our intellectual community? When we share our thinking, don't we all benefit? This got me thinking, in what ways do I encourage and facilitate intellectual sharing among my students?

So I wanted to take inventory of ways in which I am planning on engaging my students in intellectual sharing and combating the "mine" mentality that is so ingrained in their fiber.

1. Reading circle discussions. Every Monday/Tuesday students will spend (roughly) the first 20 minutes meeting with their common reading groups to discuss various ideas surrounding their texts. Additionally, students will-following their weekly discussions-engage in person a Schoology discussion with their classmates. My hopes in doing this will be to allow students to see other students' thinking surrounding reading.

2. Tonya's demo today! I loved the collaborative and tactile nature of her cut and past revision strategy. What a great way to engage student writers in a dialogue with their readers. (I plan to post a digital copy of her demo to this blog post so anyone interested can adapt it for their own classrooms - I'm thinking senior project papers!)

3. Creating a real audience so students have a real purpose for writing. I am excited to jump on board with a TC First Year Writing partnership next year and initiate an inquiry into college readiness. I want to rattle students' thinking and encourage them to allow other ways of thinking about college readiness into their intellectual "mine" sphere.

I would LOVE to hear ways in which you break students' "mine" mentality through collaboration.

AND... Jenny made each of us this amazingly cute mini-daybook cover. How awesome is she?!


5 comments:

  1. I love your ideas. I can hear your enthusiasm in your post. Although none of us really wants to go back to school yet, I think we are all excited to head back and try all of our new ideas! Whoop, Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a long list, too, of things I want to do to make my classroom a wonderful writing/intellectual community. It's not so much the "things" themselves, I've found, but the feeling in the room--the willingness of students to trust one another and take risks and explore. I can already feel that atmosphere in your classroom, just by the way you talk about it. You are going to have an awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you are framing all the ccool things we are learning. Writing Porject has changed my life and I hope it changes yours. It is a wonderful organization to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your plan. Mind if I borrow a few?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Kim! I love your list and think that they are all fantastic! I can't believe these 13 days flew by so quickly...what am I going to do for lunch next week? Where am I going to find a group of four wonderful people to sit with, enjoy lunch, and laugh like we did? Ka Kaw!

    Ok...enough mushy mushy for now. :)

    ReplyDelete